Information about your privacy on www.wasatchdermatology.com
Patient Health Information Privacy Practices & Policies
Information About Children
This website is not intended for or targeted to children under 13, and we do not knowingly or intentionally collect information about children under 13. If you believe that we have collected information about a child under 13, please contact us so that we may delete the information.
We Never Sell Personal Information
We will never sell your personal information to any third party.
Patient Testimonials and Comments
We may post patient testimonials and comments on our website that may contain personal information. We obtain each patient’s individual consent via email and/or signed release prior to posting the patient’s name and testimonial.
We employ other companies and people to provide services to website visitors and patients, and on occasion we may need to share your information in a HIPAA-compliant manner. In all cases where we share your information with such agents, we explicitly require the agent to acknowledge and adhere to our policies for Internet privacy and the handling of patient data.
Security of Your Personal Information
We use a variety of security technologies and procedures to help protect your personal information from unauthorized access, use or disclosure. We secure the personal information you provide on computer servers in a controlled, secure environment protected from unauthorized access, use or disclosure. When sensitive personal information is collected on our website and/or transmitted to another website, it is protected through the use of encryption, such as the Secure Socket Layer (SSL) protocol.
Social Media Features
Cookies and Other Technologies
We may use “cookies,” log files, clear gifs or other technologies to help personalize your online experience. For example, a cookie can help us to recall your specific information on subsequent visits. Other technologies allow us to determine which email subscribers click through and read our newsletters.
Unsubscribe from Our Communications
Our email list is “opt-in,” meaning that you must choose to receive communications from us. This also means that you may unsubscribe from our marketing communications at any time, which can be done simply by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link located on the bottom of our emails.
Consent for Email and Text Messaging
You may give permission to Wasatch Dermatology staff to communicate with you by email and text message (also known as SMS). This form provides information about the risks of these forms of communication, guidelines for email/text communication, and how we use email/text communication. It also will be used to document your consent for communication with you by email and text message.
- How we will use email and text messaging: We use these methods to communicate only about non-sensitive and non-urgent issues including but not limited to communication about treatments, billing, appointments and advice from my providers. All communications to or from you may be made a part of your medical record. You have the same right of access to such communications as you do to the remainder of your medical record. Your email and text messages may be forwarded to another staff member as necessary for appropriate handling. We will not disclose your emails or text messages to researchers or others unless allowed by state or federal law. Please refer to our Notice of Privacy Practices for information as to permitted uses of your health information and your rights regarding privacy matters.
- Risk of using email and text messages: The use of email and text message has a number of risks that you should consider. These risks include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Emails and texts can be circulated, forwarded, stored electronically and on paper, and broadcast to unintended recipients.
- Senders can easily misaddress an email or text and send the information to an undesired recipient.
- Backup copies of emails and texts may exist even after the sender and/or the recipient has deleted his or her copy.
- Employers and on-line services have a right to inspect emails and texts sent through their company systems.
- Emails and texts can be intercepted, altered, forwarded or used without authorization or detection.
- Emails and texts can be used as evidence in court.
- Email and text messaging may not be secure, and therefore it is possible that a third party may breach the confidentiality of such communications.
- Conditions for the use of email and text messages: Wasatch Dermatology cannot guarantee but will use reasonable means to maintain security and confidentiality of email/text information sent and received. You must acknowledge and consent to the following conditions:
- IN A MEDICAL EMERGENCY, CALL 911. Do not use email or text messaging. If you have an urgent problem during regular business hours, please call our office at (209) 526-4299. Urgent messages or needs should be relayed to us by using regular telephone communication.
- Emails should not be time-sensitive. While we try to respond to email messages daily, we cannot guarantee that any particular email will be read and responded to within any particular period of time. If you have not heard back from us within three days, call our office to confirm that email has been received.
- You should speak with a staff member to discuss complex and/or sensitive situations rather than send email or text messages regarding such situations.
- Email and text messages may be filed electronically into your medical record.
- Our staff will not forward your identifiable email/texts to outside parties without your written consent, except as authorized by law.
- You should use your best judgment when considering the use of email or text messages for communication of sensitive medical information.
- Dennis J. Schmidt, and staff is not liable for breaches of confidentiality caused by you or any third party.
- Withdrawal of consent: I understand that I may revoke this consent at any time by so advising the office of Wasatch Dermatology in writing. My revocation of consent will not affect my ability to obtain future health care nor will it cause the loss of any benefits to which I am otherwise entitled.
- Acknowledgement and Agreement: I acknowledge that I have read and fully understand this consent form. I understand the risks associated with the use of email and text messaging as a form of communication between the office of Wasatch Dermatology and me, and consent to the conditions and instructions outlined, as well as any other instructions that Wasatch Dermatology may impose to communicate with me by email or text message.